Today’s News - Wednesday, September 21, 2016
• ArcSpace brings us Tory-Henderson's take on DSDHA's Corner House that "redefines a corner block in central London."
• Hail to NYC's landmarks commission for calendaring to consider Roche and Dinkeloo's Po-Mo Ambassador Grill & Lounge for landmark status (our fingers are crossed!).
• Brussat fairly bristles over Ike's family now supporting Gehry's Eisenhower Memorial: it's "depressing, and maybe even predictable, but it's too early for opponents of the monstrosity to throw in the towel."
• Misra reports on Romero's "utopian vision for a walkable city straddling the U.S.-Mexico border" - such "hyperconnected urban centers" could become "the most powerful actors on a global stage."
• Costs may have doubled for Kuma's V&A Dundee, "but funders keep faith" that it will create a Bilbao effect.
• Rosenbaum gives a shout-out to an under-the-radar Adjaye project in Harlem as critical acclaim swirls around his African American museum in D.C.
• Newhouse cheers Piano's "stunning hilltop complex" with a 42-acre park in Athens that "creates an oasis for the Greek people in austere times" (great pix).
• A round-up of 5 solar-powered buildings "that will forever change architecture."
• Eyefuls of the four shortlisted designs in Sydney's Kensington and Kingsford: K2K Urban Design Competition.
• Cheers to the five design leaders taking home Arch Record's 2016 Women in Architecture Award!
• Zellner explains why "architectural education is broken" and what needs to be done to fix it - starting with ending "academic cult worship" (a great read!).
• Kamin gets the skinny on what we can expect from the next Chicago Architecture Biennial in 2017, with high hopes it will be more focused "than the sprawling first event" that left some "bewildered."
• Pacific Standard Time, a.k.a. PST:LA/LA, lays out its big plans for its "Southern California-wide arts extravaganza" next year.
• Westlake Reed Leskosky joins DLR Group (we're glad they're not ditching either name).
• A round-up of 18 of the "best-designed, most useful architecture firm websites" - and a few that are technically flawed, but "have designs that some people can't resist."
• Call for entries: Applications for the Graham Foundation's 2017 Carter Manny Award for Ph.D. students + Deadline reminder: A' Design Award & Competition.
To subscribe to the free daily newsletter
DSDHA: Corner House, London: ...redefines a corner block in central London's Fitzrovia. The mixed-use building is part of a larger rejuvenation project to restore and redefine the neighbourhood's character. By Nina Tory-Henderson [images]
UN Plaza Hotel’s iconic postmodern interiors could get NYC landmark status: Landmarks Preservation Commission will vote on Kevin Roche John Dinkeloo and Associates’s splendid interiors on October 25: ...Historic Districts Council and Docomomo petitioned LPC to act immediately on taking the necessary steps to give the PoMo interiors their due. [Ambassador Grill & Lounge (1976); Lobby (1983)]- Curbed New York
No surrender to Gehry Ike: News that the Eisenhower family has been flipped and now supports the design of a proposed memorial [by] Frank Gehry is depressing, and maybe even predictable, but it’s too early for opponents of the monstrosity to throw in the towel. By David Brussat- Architecture Here and There
Instead of Trump's Wall, Why Not a Binational Border City? A Mexican architect has a utopian vision for a walkable city straddling the U.S.-Mexico border: ...according to global strategist Parag Khanna, hyperconnected urban centers will soon become the most powerful actors on a global stage. In that sense, Romero’s vision represents the future of cities. By Tanvi Misra -- FR-EE Fernando Romero [images]- CityLab (formerly The Atlantic Cities)
Scottish government bets big on V&A franchise in Dundee: Costs double but funders keep faith with design museum: ...it resembles a beached ship...The process has not been without bumps...Bilbao effect? ...funnelled millions of pounds into the project in the hope that it will regenerate the city’s waterfront and encourage tourism. -- Kengo Kuma [image]- The Art Newspaper (UK)
Adulated Adjaye: Acclaimed in DC, Under-the-Radar in NYC: While there’s been widespread critical acclaim for David Adjaye‘s...National Museum of African American History and Culture...few New Yorkers have heard of, let alone visited, his...Sugar Hill Project, commissioned by Broadway Housing Communities in Harlem. By Lee Rosenbaum [images, video]- ArtsJournal
Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center: The gift of a splendid complex and public park creates an oasis for the Greek people in austere times: ...a stunning hilltop complex...In addition to the SNFCC’s aesthetic and practical merits, it is undoubtedly an inspiring symbol of belief in the future of Greece. By Victoria Newhouse -- Renzo Piano Building Workshop [images]- Architectural Record
5 solar-powered buildings that will forever change architecture: From Apple's Spaceship HQ to GE's Boston campus, these solar-integrated designs are raising the bar: ...over the next two years, some of the largest building projects in the world are integrating photovoltaics from the rooftop down to the facade. -- Foster+Partners; Peddle Thorp; Gensler; CF Møller [images]- Mother Nature Network
Kensington and Kingsford: K2K Urban Design Competition: four shortlisted designs revealed: ...will help shape future planning of the two suburbs, located to the south-east of Sydney’s CBD. -- Aspect Studios Urban Design and Landscape Architecture/SJB Architects and Urban Design/Terroir Architecture and Urban Planning/SGS Economics and Planning; Coda Architecture and Urban Design/Realm Studios Landscape Architecture/GTA Transport Consultants; JBA Urban Design and Planning/Stewart Hollenstein Architecture and Urban Design/Arcadia Landscape and Natural Systems/The Transport Planning People/Jess Scully; James Mather Delaney Design Landscape Architects/Hill Thalis Architecture and Urban Projects/Bennett/Trimble Architecture and Urban Projects [images]- ArchitectureAU (Australia)
Architectural Record Announces Winners of 2016 Women in Architecture Awards: The third annual awards program honors five design leaders. -- Susan T. Rodriguez/Ennead Architects; Amale Andraos/WORKac; Jenny Sabin/Jenny Sabin Studio; Donna Robertson, Educator/Mentor; Roberta Feldman, Activist- Architectural Record
A Situation Where Architecture Might Happen: Architectural education is broken - here’s how to fix it: Without freeing up a zone for architectural education to explore the space between vocations and ideas, the profession and the discipline will wither. Without a return to the value of an architecture of ideas and not an architecture of marketing concepts, then the purpose and need for the very a school of architecture may be on the table. By Peter Zellner/Zellner Naecker Architects- The Architect's Newspaper
Next Chicago Architecture Biennial aims for 1-2 punch with art fair: ...curators...Sharon Johnston and Mark Lee...are exploring two main thematic areas - history and modernity...could lend a sharper focus to the 2017 biennial than the sprawling first event, whose range of material left some viewers...bewildered...will strive to build all four of the lakefront kiosks...commissioned from young architects for the 2015 biennial. By Blair Kamin -- Johnston Marklee & Associates- Chicago Tribune
Pacific Standard Time 2017 reveals slate of architecturally-focused exhibitions: The Getty-sponsored initiative...has released a partial list of the exhibitions...of its Southern California-wide arts extravaganza...PST:LA/LA...to showcase a variety of architectural- and design-related exhibitions that touch on critical architectural issues and their impact on art...The Getty Museum and Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) are doing much of the heavy lifting in this department...- The Architect's Newspaper
Westlake Reed Leskosky to Join DLR Group: Union creates a global design leader with 1,000 design professionals serving clients from 26 locations around the world. -- DLR Group|Westlake Reed Leskosky; DLR Group|Sorg|Westlake Reed Leskosky- BusinessWire
These Are the Best-Designed, Most Useful Architecture Firm Websites: ...a list of 18 firms whose lead you might be able to follow, and provided some pointers on things you should avoid...in addition to these exemplar designs, there are many that are more polarizing; websites that, while technically flawed in some obvious ways, have designs that some people can't resist.- ArchDaily
Call for entries: Call for Applications: 2017 Carter Manny Award for Ph.D. students working on dissertation topics in architecture; open to students enrolled in schools in the U.S. and Canada, regardless of citizenship; deadline: November 15- Graham Foundation
Call for entries deadline reminder: A' Design Award & Competition to recognize the best design works in all countries and in all creative disciplines; deadline: September 30- A' Design Award & Competition
Note: Pages will open in a new browser window.
External news links are not endorsed by ArchNewsNow.com.
Free registration may be required on some sites.
Some pages may expire after a few days.
© 2016 ArchNewsNow.com