Today’s News - Wednesday, July 8, 2009
• IDEO's Human-Centered Design Toolkit now available to all - for the good of all.
• An Alabama city looks to Chattanooga, "master of downtown revitalization," to see how it's done: "Dream big, and then do even more."
• Even with a shrinking population, Cleveland turns part of its historic downtown into "a prime example of 21st-century urban redevelopment."
• In the U.K., a retrofit experiment could transform social housing into models of low-tech sustainability and fuel efficiency.
• The future of Saarinen's Bell Labs is thrown into limbo - again.
• A call to rebuild Jamaican hero's birthplace: "This is ancient Jamaican architecture&hellipthey knew how to build in those days."
• An in-depth look at Portland, Oregon's new generation of architects blending "high density, sustainability, and thrift into a bolder breed of building. At last."
• Kamin visits The Ledge and finds a "shred of significance in these wow-inducing glass boxes" (and the "frisson" of being suspended in the air with nothing but glass "standing between you and a date with your funeral director").
• An interesting look at how technology could make glass the building material of the future.
• An eyeful of 3 of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Games sports venues - and what will give them staying power post-games.
• Dyckhoff finds it "quite astonishing" that such a "thoughtful" and "profound" memorial to the 7/7 victims was "created without controversy by so young a firm as Carmody Groarke."
• Pearman visits Snøhetta in Oslo and finds himself on "the edges of things" (great pix - sounds like a great trip!).
• TEDTalks offers up Eames Demetrios in "a lively, loving tribute" to the genius of his grandparents.
• We couldn't resist: an eyeful of the Müvbox, a portable, solar-powered restaurant in a shipping container.
To subscribe to the free daily newsletter
Open-Source Innovation: IDEO's Human-Centered Design Toolkit: A series of PDFs that are free to download...hopes to empower organizations and design firms by giving them their field-tested tools for social impact in a way that focuses more on sharing information than authorship. -- Design Accord [images, links]- Fast Company
City hopes to learn from Chattanooga: Huntsville has come to the master of downtown revitalization to see how its done...Dream big, and then do even more. -- Stroud Watson- The Huntsville Times (Alabama)
An Enclave of Entertainment in Cleveland: ...has reclaimed East Fourth Street, a part of its historic downtown...the culmination of 15 years of work by the Maron family to turn a worn thoroughfare and its old buildings into a prime example of 21st-century urban redevelopment in the Midwest.- New York Times
Low-tech retrofit experiment could transform social housing: The Greening-the-Box initiative aims to demonstrate that retrofitting can transform hard-to-heat housing association and council properties into models of low-tech sustainability and fuel efficiency - with almost zero heating. -- Jeremy Harrall/SEArch (Sustainable Ecological Architecture) [links]- Ecologist.org (UK)
Bell Labs Back in Limbo: Saarinen's famed corporate villa in need of rescue plan. Despite the announcement last August that Eero Saarinen’s iconic campus in Holmdel, N.J., had found a developer committed to its preservation, the building’s fate is once more in jeopardy. [images]- The Architect's Newspaper
Another Appeal for Roxborough: Birthplace of National Hero Norman Manley still in disrepair: ...often described as the 'father' and chief architect of post-independent Jamaica..."This is ancient Jamaican architecture which should be restored and preserved as it was. They knew how to build in those days." [image]- Jamaica Observer
Building Blocks: A new generation of young architects is reaching beyond the expected to blend high density, sustainability, and thrift into a bolder breed of Portland building. At last...taking an unusual one-for-all/all-for-one approach... -- Ziba Design; Holst Architecture; Works Partnership Architecture; Atelier Waechter; William Kaven Architecture; Path Architecture; Seed Architecture Studio; 11xDesign [slide shows]- Portland Monthly (Oregon)
The Ledge at Sears Tower proves the sky is calling again: I don't want to get too serious about what is essentially a tourist attraction. But perhaps there's a shred of significance in these wow-inducing glass boxes...Could it be that America is rediscovering the sky? ...the frisson of being suspended a quarter of a mile in the air with nothing more than three layers of half-inch-thick glass standing between you and a date with your funeral director. By Blair Kamin -- Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (SOM) [images]- Chicago Tribune
As Unbreakable as ... Glass? With new technology, builders are imagining structures made entirely of glass. -- Eckersley O’Callaghan Structural Design; Halcrow Yolles; James Carpenter Design Associates; ABT Belgium; Werner Sobek [images, slide show, video]- New York Times
Longevity Central to Stadium Design for Vancouver Olympics: For three sports venues designed for the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver, there was one major goal: staying power. -- Cannon Design; Hughes Condon Marler: Architects; Kaslan Architecture [slide show]- Architectural Record
A thoughtful memorial to the 7/7 victims: That so subtle, so thoughtful a memorial as this, far more profound than Michael Arad’s twin pools for New York’s 9/11 site, has been created without controversy by so young a firm as Carmody Groarke...is quite astonishing. By Tom Dyckhoff- The Times (UK)
The edges of things: meeting Snøhetta in Oslo. By Hugh Pearman -- Kjetil Thorsen; Craig Dykers [images]- HughPearman.com (UK)
TEDTalks: The design genius of Charles + Ray Eames: The legendary design team made films, houses and classic midcentury modern furniture. Eames Demetrios, their grandson, shows rarely seen films and archival footage in a lively, loving tribute to their creative process. [video]- TED (Technology, Entertainment and Design)
Shipping container to solar powered restaurant in 90 seconds? Meet the Müvbox portable restaurant...compact and mobile unit uncovers a fully operational kitchen...at the touch of a button, and brings an eco-friendly ethos to the table to boot. -- Daniel Noiseux [images]- Gizmag (Australia)
WORDS THAT BUILD: Faster! Deeper! Broader! Tip #16: How to balance high-speed communication with in-depth communication. By Norman Weinstein- ArchNewsNow
A City's Artful Heart: In St. Louis, two formerly vacant downtown blocks on the Gateway Mall have been given new life as Citygarden, a serene urban oasis in the heart of the city. -- Nelson Byrd Woltz Landscape Architects; studio|durham architects [images]- ArchNewsNow
-- Alberto Campo Baeza: MA: Andalucia’s Museum of Memory, Granada, Spain
-- LAM architects: Giraffe House, Rotterdam Zoo, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Note: Pages will open in a new browser window.
External news links are not endorsed by ArchNewsNow.com.
Free registration may be required on some sites.
Some pages may expire after a few days.
© 2009 ArchNewsNow.com