Today’s News - Thursday, November 14, 2013
• Benfield cheers "a trend of microdevelopment" that is "saving neighborhoods from the 'vacancy vortex'" (demolition not included).
• Martin dives deep into the Greater New Orleans Urban Water Plan that would "decrease flooding and provide opportunities for handsome water-related architectural amenities and public spaces" - but would it really spur economic growth (skeptics abound).
• A new AIA interactive graphic chart "shows the myriad ways in which careful decision-making during the architecture design process can positively impact life."
• Bushels of new images of Foster's Apple spaceship HQ in Cupertino - the "internal arrangement of the office is still something of a mystery, but it's already come in for some skepticism."
• Bey parses 3 finalists' designs to replace Goldberg's Prentice hospital: the "proposals show Northwestern University is looking for a big, efficient, machine-like building somewhere between a hotel and office building."
• Hadid may have come in third in competition to design the Iraqi Parliament building in Baghdad, but it looks like she's getting the job anyway.
• Eyefuls of the High Line's final stretch: a "lush, verdant" amphitheater that will float above the street (wonderful!).
• Brussat falls out of love with skyscrapers: "it pains me to witness the decline of my affection."
• Amid new calls to demolish the Brutalist Boston City Hall, Fixler makes a different case: "Why not work with what you have, which is the sustainable thing to do and the culturally referential thing to do."
• Gang tapped to design a new home for Chicago's Writers Theatre that will have a "Theatre in a Park" atmosphere.
• Beha tapped once again to design another expansion of the New Britain Museum of American Art in Connecticut + Q&A with Beha architects re: their contemporary art and education center at the Shelburne Museum, "one of the most idiosyncratic institutions in the U.S."
• A new documentary "will document what is changing in architecture today and how these changes are affecting women" by highlighting 5 "rising stars" (a landscape architect included!).
• RAIC honors His Highness the Aga Khan with 2013 Gold Medal, the first time in more than 30 years that a non-architect has been chosen.
• An impressive list of winners of the Mayor's Urban Design Awards in Calgary.
• After much brouhaha, 6 make the shortlist to refurbish RIBA's new home.
• One we couldn't resist: watch Maki's 4 World Trade Center rise in just 2 minutes.
• Call For entries: 2014 AIA New York Design Awards, open to NYC architects and projects by others located in the city.
To subscribe to the free daily newsletter
Saving Neighborhoods From the 'Vacancy Vortex': In cities like Buffalo, empty homes make neighborhood restoration a serious challenge. But one group has a clever fix...what BuffaLove Development is doing is part of a trend of microdevelopment... By Kaid Benfield [images, links]- The Atlantic Cities
By Getting Wetter Now, New Orleans Can Foil the Next Flood: Greater New Orleans Urban Water Plan...Rather than pump rainwater out of the city...should retain it in an interrelated series of canals, urban wetlands, ponds...decrease flooding and provide opportunities for handsome water-related architectural amenities and public spaces...“It’s not obvious that any of this would stimulate rapid growth"... By Nathan C. Martin [images, links]- Next City (formerly Next American City)
Infographic: How Architecture Can Save Your Life: Architects wield more power than you think over your mental and physical well-being...American Institute of Architects (AIA) is trying to emphasize..."Designing Communities, Shaping Health" shows the myriad ways in which careful decision-making during the architecture design process can positively impact life. [images, links]- Fast Company
Look Inside Apple’s Spaceship Headquarters With 24 All-New Renderings: ...it should be no less cutting-edge than any Apple gadget...internal arrangement of the office is still something of a mystery, but it’s already come in for some skepticism...there’s no telling if the ringed design floor plan will foster collaboration or stifle it. -- Foster + Partners [images]- Wired
After Prentice: Northwestern University shows finalists' designs for new building: One look at the submissions shows why the university never would have reused Bertrand Goldberg's Prentice Women's Hospital...proposals show Northwestern is looking for a big, efficient, machine-like building somewhere between a hotel and office building in space, amenities and design. By: Lee Bey -- Goettsch Partners/Ballinger; Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill/Payette; Perkins+Will [images]- WBEZ Chicago Public Radio
Zaha Hadid wins chance to design Iraq parliament building: ...despite coming third in RIBA contest...which was won by London-based Assemblage...and Capita Symonds – which was placed second...- The Architects' Journal (UK)
We’re Bowled Over by James Corner Field Operations’s Plans For the High Line: ...large, tree-lined amphitheater will float above 10th Avenue and 30th Street. Dubbed the Spur, the lush, verdant bowl...serving as a gateway to Hudson Yards and the High Line’s final stretch. -- Diller Scofidio + Renfro [images]- The Architect's Newspaper
Buildings that scrape the sky's eye: Skyscrapers are admirable, in their way, but they grow less admirable every day. They grow less beautiful and more abstract...it pains me to witness the decline of my affection...the trajectory of the character of this building type has been downward...Even the most extraordinary are ugly, less in the physical than in the moral sense. Too bad. By David Brussat- Providence Journal (Rhode Island)
Beans Sprouting: With new development in Boston, new cries for demolition of Brutalist city hall...“Why not work with what you have, which is the sustainable thing to do and the culturally referential thing to do, and let Boston be an example of adaptive reuse"...change has already taken hold of downtown... -- Kallmann McKinnell & Knowles; David Fixler/YP Architecture & Engineering; Docomomo US/New England; Handel Architects;Pei Cobb Freed & Partners [images]- The Architect's Newspaper
Writers Theatre moving on to a new stage:...promises to be an architecturally-significant addition to the landscape in Glencoe...aims to have a building with a "Theatre in a Park" atmosphere... -- Studio Gang Architects [images]- Chicago Business Journal
Ann Beha Architects to design The New Britain Museum of American Art expansion: ... will extend the ABA-designed Chase Family Building that the firm completed in 2006...- ArtDaily.org
Pizzagalli Center for Art & Education, Shelburne Museum: Museum is one of the most idiosyncratic institutions in the United States, made up of 25 historic New England buildings...Ann Beha Architects added a contemporary art and education center into this eclectic context...Q&A with the architects... [images]- World-Architects.com
5 Women Changing the Face of Architecture: ...women have begun to carve a space for themselves in the architecture world...Alice Shure and Janice Stanton of Amici Productions began work on a new documentary, "Making Space"...will document what is changing in architecture today and how these changes are affecting women. By Vanessa Quirk -- Anabelle Selldorf/Selldorf Architects; Odile Decq; Farshid Moussavi; Marianne McKenna/KPMB; Kathryn Gustafson/Gustafson-Porter- ArchDaily
RAIC honours His Highness the Aga Khan with 2013 Gold Medal; Royal Architectural Institute of Canada selection...marks the first time in more than 30 years that a non-architect has been chosen...recognizes the Aga Khan’s extraordinary achievements in using architecture as an instrument to further peaceful and sustainable community development around the world.- Canadian Architect
Winners of the Mayor's Urban Design Awards in Calgary announced -- Calgary & Nyhoff Architecture; Ferrari Westwood Babits Architects; O2 Planning + Design; Sturgess Architecture/George Harris; Foster + Partners/Zeidler Partnership Architects/Sturgess Architecture/Gustafson Guthrie Nichol; DIALOG/Perkins+Will; GEC Architecture/Scatliff + Miller + Murry;Carlyle & Associates; etc.- Canadian Architect
Six on shortlist to refurbish RIBA's new home: Contract marred by row over minimum turnover clause: Following the outcry, new president Stephen Hodder removed the requirement for a turnover threshold after admitting architects’ attacks were justified. -- Theis + Khan Architects; shedkm architects; Spacelab; Moxon Architects; Ben Adams Architects; Piercy & Company- BD/Building Design (UK)
EarthCam Celebrates the Opening of 4 World Trade Center with Commemorative Time-Lapse 2009-2013: Watch as 72 floors rise up 978 feet in just 2 minutes. -- Fumihiko Maki- EarthCam
Call For entries: 2014 AIA New York Design Awards; open to NYC-based architects, and work located in New York City designed by any registered architect regardless of the architect’s residence or location of primary office; deadline: February 3, 2014- AIA New York
-- Coop Himmelb(l)au: Known as the punk rockers of architecture...founded in Vienna in 1968 by Wolf Prix, Helmut Swiczinsky and Michael Holzer.
-- Zaha Hadid Architects: MAXXI: Museum of XXI Century Arts, Rome, Italy
-- Travel blog: Vienna, Austria -- Ortner & Ortner; Adolf Loos; Hans Hollein
Note: Pages will open in a new browser window.
External news links are not endorsed by ArchNewsNow.com.
Free registration may be required on some sites.
Some pages may expire after a few days.
© 2013 ArchNewsNow.com