Today’s News - Thursday, December 9, 2010
• Boston continues its quest to humanize City Hall plaza, and architects are welcoming the chance to come up with low-cost improvement ideas that, with any luck, can be implemented next year.
• McPhee begs to differ: the Boston Redevelopment Authority "should leaf it alone" - Boston "is supposed to be built of brick and mortar. It's a city, for heaven's sake."
• Iovine cheers Thom's Arena Stage, both as a catalyst for rejuvenating the neighborhood, and as a space that "offers not so much a coherent design vision as an experience of exhilarating activity."
• In Australia, high hopes that the new Cairns Style Guide "will affect the way architects and developers think about building in Queensland's far north."
• An AIA Trends survey finds the down economy is altering the residential real estate landscape (much of it creating an uptick in the right direction).
• An eyeful of Arup's oh-so-green design of a "model stadium" that convinced FIFA officials to award Qatar the 2022 World Cup.
• King cheers six entries for Emeryville arts center for being "vibrant provocations, pushing us to rethink how a cultural building can define and engage a community" (but presentations are "classic examples of information overload" - the architects "don't know when to stop" - link to pix and you decide).
• In the U.K., an eyeful of Richard Murphy Architects' winning design for Whitehaven Harbour mixed-use competition: the "response to a challenging brief is delightful" (though it came last in an online poll of shortlisted designs - go figure).
• And an impressive shortlist for the recently burned down Hastings Pier revamp (alas, no pix).
• DawnTown Miami Design competition winners offer innovative designs for a seaplane terminal on an island in downtown Miami (great presentation).
• Interior Design Best of Year 2010 winners (an impressive list, but not much info).
• Call for entries: The City of Dreams 2011 Pavilion, 2011 FIGMENT Mini-golf Course, and NYC 2011 Sculpture Garden (all on NYC's Governors Island) + 20th Annual Inform Awards (Mid-Atlantic States only).
To subscribe to the free daily newsletter
Hub planners envision more vibrant City Hall: Boston’s Government Center Plaza, reviled as an eyesore for decades, could be transformed into an oasis...That was always the idea, said one of the plaza’s original planners...The city’s goal is to devise low-cost improvements that can be implemented in 2011. And architects are welcoming the chance. -- Bill Taylor/Carol R. Johnson Associates; Henry Cobb/Pei Cobb Freed & Partners; Kallmann McKinnell & Knowles; Janet Marie Smith- Boston Herald
Op-Ed: BRA should leaf it alone, stick to its basic mission: I’m all for green space...But the idea that the Boston Redevelopment Authority is holding a day-long symposium on the “Greening of Government Center”...is laughable...Doesn’t the BRA have anything better to do - like living up to the word “redevelopment”? By Michele McPhee- Boston Herald
Setting the Stage for Renewal: Bing Thom's update and expansion of Harry Weese's Arena Stage in Washington, D.C. is an imaginative $135 million project that local planners are hoping will spur a $2 billion neighborhood makeover...Like an operetta's village stage set with slopes and stairs, terraces and balconies, the space offers not so much a coherent design vision as an experience of exhilarating activity... By Julie V. Iovine- Wall Street Journal
Cairns mayor promotes tropical architecture: She hopes the Cairns Style Guide will affect the way architects and developers think about building in Queensland's far north.- ABC News (Australia)
Multigenerational homes, front porches gain favor: ..solar reflective roofs and access to public transportation, finds AIA's Home Design Trends Survey..."economic realities like high foreclosure rates, increased commuting time and costs, and a renewed interest in affordability are key drivers in altering the residential real estate landscape," says Kermit Baker... [images, links]- USA Today
Arup Associates unveils Qatar 2022 World Cup ‘model stadium’: ...500-seater air conditioned structure was used to convince FIFA officials that the region’s hot summer weather could be made harmless to the beautiful game. Designed to be zero carbon throughout... [images]- The Architects' Journal (UK)
Architecture competition for Emeryville Center for the Arts: The six entries...are vibrant provocations, pushing us to rethink how a cultural building can define and engage a community...But they're also classic examples of information overload. The architects are so eager to make an impression, they don't know when to stop. John King -- Aidlin Darling Design; Jensen Architects; Schwartz and Architecture; Edmonds + Lee Architects; Envelope A+D; Ogryziak/Prillinger Architects [images, link]- San Francisco Chronicle
AJ exclusive: Richard Murphy Architects bags Whitehaven Harbour contest: ...has won the RIBA Competition to design a £10 million mixed-used luxury apartment and office scheme in Whitehaven Harbour, Cumbria..."response to a challenging brief is delightful." [images]- The Architects' Journal (UK)
Six shortlisted for Hastings Pier revamp: ...suffered extensive fire damage following a suspected arson attack earlier this autumn. -- White Arkitekter; Adams & Sutherland; De Rijke Marsh Morgan (dRMM); FAT; Niall McLuaghlin; Wilkinson Eyre- Regeneration & Renewal magazine (UK)
3rd annual DawnTown Miami Design competition winners announced: ...innovative designs for a seaplane terminal on an island in downtown Miami -- Trevor Curtis + Sylvia Kim; Stantec; Gerd Wetzel + Martin Plock; NC-OFFICE; Nikolay Martynov [link to images]- DawnTown (Miami)
Interior Design Best of Year 2010 -- Simone Micheli Architectural Hero; Johnson Chou; SmithGroup; ZGF Architects; Ball-Nogues Studio; NBBJ; Karim Rashid; Patricia Urquiola; Circa Architecture/Chada; Neri & Hu Design/Research Office; Andre Kikoski Architect; Levitt Goodman Architects; Architecture in Formation; Clive Wilkinson Architects; Studios Architecture; Randy Brown Architects; IwamotoScott; Shelton, Mindel; Dreamtime Australia Design; Yabu Pushelberg; etc.- Interior Design magazine
-- Call for entries: The City of Dreams 2011 Pavilion: design and construct an architectural pavilion for the 2011 summer season on Governors Island; registration deadline: January 15, 2011
-- 2011 FIGMENT Minigolf Course on Governors Island; registration deadline: February 15, 2011
-- NYC 2011 Sculpture Garden; registration deadline: January 15, 2011- FIGMENT/ENYA/AIANY/SEAoNY
Call for entries: 20th Annual Inform Awards for architecture, landscape architecture, interiors, products, etc; business address must be located in Virginia, Maryland, West Virginia, Washington, D.C., or North Carolina; registration deadline: February 16, 2011- Inform Magazine: Architecture + Design in the Mid-Atlantic (Virginia Society of the American Institute of Architects)
Best Architecture Books of 2010; Ten books pointing the way to larger professional horizons. By Norman Weinstein -- Eric J. Cesal; Thomas Fisher; Mark Garcia; Philip Jodidio; Charles Jencks/Edwin Heathcote; Giovanni Curatola; George Ranalli; James P. Cramer/Jane Paradise Wolford; etc.- ArchNewsNow
UNStudio: UNStudio Tower, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Note: Pages will open in a new browser window.
External news links are not endorsed by ArchNewsNow.com.
Free registration may be required on some sites.
Some pages may expire after a few days.
© 2010 ArchNewsNow.com